07 July 2007

Gavin Whenman LL.B. (Hons)

Sod the personal pronoun post title, I graduated at 12pm today (7th July 2007) and can now add the letters "LL.B." to the end of my name.

My law student friends and I dressed up in silly robes (light blue and cream hood with black gown and cap is apparently the order of the day at Reading), shook hands with the Chancellor, Lord Carrington, and collected our long studied for degrees at the end of what seemed like an eternal three years. Lord Carrington then gave a speech to the congregation which was essentially a milder version of Tony Blair's feral media speech from last month, with an emphasis on the importance of common sense.

Afterwards I bought a bookmark and pen as a souvenir, along with a t-shirt printed with all our names on, and adjourned to Foxhill House for a group photo and a bit of a natter with legal chums.

And that is that for me at Reading. I still have an old friend from home studying there until next year, and the president of the students' union is a friend of mine from my first year halls of residence, so I'm sure I'll still make a couple of visits, but it won't be the same. Bit sad really, but life goes on, and my legal education is far from over - there is still my masters degree next year and after that either the LPC or BVC. But still, it is the end of a very happy era.

5 comments:

LDU said...

Congratulations

Anonymous said...

LLB (Hons) or just LLB after your name? Whats the (Hons) all about anyway?

Gavin Whenman said...

LLB (Hons) in full, but you can put either - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification#Degree_classification to find out why :-)

zainab said...

congrats n good luck for ur further studies

New Rule said...

First, second L or U? :0) Congrats anyway..